Our Slideshow

Penang Local Time

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Carpet Ride

Date: 29th.Aug.2009 (Sat)
Time: 7am
Venue: Carpet

Ride up to Carpet with Woei Tong and Chee Wei. We ride from Parkview down to Relau thru the
kampung and cut out to Sungai Ara.

We then started the ride up Carpet via the single trail. It was my first off road ride so I was a bit cautious. I followed them from behind. The first part up on was good and not so tough for me. I was beginning to feel comfortable with the trail. Then comes the tough one.....up the rubber estate. I was not expecting this kind of steep & winding trail...(can't blame me, this is my first off road ride). My fist ascend almost threw me off my bike. I was doing a wheelie....luckily I managed to jump off. Only then I realize that I need to control the front of the bike during a climb. After a couple of hundreds meter I was already exhausted...so the best thing to do is to push the bike. And I do admit I push it for quite a distance alternating from pedaling & pushing until I reach carpet.

It was really an experience for me. Along the trails there were fruit trees, rubber trees, vegetable farms and also swallow house build there for collecting bird nest. At the top the place was cooling and the view were fantastic. It was really worth the climb (part cycling, part hiking or I would call it pushing). After a brief moment and some photos we decide to descend as it started drizzling.

As we were descending, the rain begins to pour and we were soaking wet when we reach
downhill. We descend using the Cherry Blossom trail. To my surprise, it was really quick downhill although I was pressing on both brakes most of the time.

When we reach home, it was time to wash up the bike and say goodbye.

Although it was just a short trip, it was really an experience for me. I was really tired but it
was really rewarding. I'm really satisfied and I will definite be joining more off road ride in
the future. Meantime, I need more training.

Thanks to Woei Tong & Chee Wei for taking me up Carpet and giving me advise along the way up and down the trail.

Pictures below were taken by Woei Tong. Thanks Woei Tong for bringing the camera.




















































































































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment