Our Slideshow

Penang Local Time

Sunday, November 15, 2009

AID 1200 Steps - Ngor Hean Temple Ride

Date: 11/15/2009
Distance: 30.5 km
Time Taken: 5hrs
Ride Time: 2 hrs 35mins
Riders : Freddy, Kok Seng, Woei Tong
Route: BJI -> Paya Terubong -> 1200 Steps -> Hilton -> Ngor Hean -> AID -> Paya Terubong -> BJI
Noteworthy: can tick off 1200 Steps, Hilton and Ngor Hean from my to do riding list.

Today ride distance only 30.5 km, but I've so much fun that total ride distance doesn't matter.

At 7am, Freddy and me head out to Kek Lok Si to meet up Kok Seng, he will lead us into 1200 Steps temple. I wrongly estimated the ride time, we just take 30mins to reached Farlim market, so I decided to have breakfast while waiting for Kok Seng. (He supposed meet us at 8am). During breakfast time I only found out Freddy misunderstood my SMS, he thought our ride today only go up AID, nevertheless, he agreed to try out 1200 Steps.

Straight away we're going into "up hill battle" when the trail begin, not that Kek Lok Si car park tar road climbing is easy to begin with. I start to serious doubt myself today I'am going meet the objective, since day before I just hike up Pg Hill, my leg muscles pain haven't go away yet. The trail head gradient is almost same as Carpet Single Trail, but much more longer. Me and Freddy already stop for catching our breath just ~10 mins into climbing, while Kok Seng still pedalling but as much slower pace.

So far I like what I see, the jungle is the "primary" forest instead of the usual Durian/Rubber Trees/Fruits plantation. I see different trees, colours and birds while I "climbing". Freddy already start talking want to turn back, but I encouraged him let do "hika a bike", while Kok Seng is far ahead of us. I start pushing the bike around 10mins, then see a stretch that I can jump on my bike. I think this is the mistake I do, leaving Freddy a lone while his two ride partners no where in sight.

I met up Kok Seng and waiting for Freddy to show up. I called up Freddy after ~10mins wait, he informed me that he will wait for us "down there". I feel very bad, my friend having a hard time but I didn't realized it, didn't give him any support at all. However, the "climb" still need to go on, may be because I feel have the obligation to finish this ride or may be the climb become easier. I ride non-stop up to 1200 Steps Temple or Cheng Kon Sze. AND, the suffering is worth it, the view look down with partly cloudy weather is magnificent, better than Gertak Sanggul view. Take me 1 hr 9 mins start from wet market.

Freddy informed me that he decided to pedal back to Relau while I catching my breath in Cheng Kon Sze. Then suddenly Kok Seng ask me if I want to try "off road down hill" to Ngor Hean Temple. He never try the route before, and should "only" take about 30 mins to reach there. I said "ya, why not". End out the first part where we need to carry our bikes on the shoulder to walk up probably 100 step stair case already caused us 20 mins.

Kok Seng and me have fall off from our bike and near missed few times while tackling the off road trail down hilling to Hilton. This down hill trail is muddy due to rains, and become dangerously slippery, but I have most fun in this part. My down hill speed probably not higher than 15km/hr.
Btw, in this stretch of off-road, I'm seeing multiple years of "Kayuh Lasak" direction board. I said to myself, luckily I didn't sign up for this year Kayuh Lasak, if not sure "chicken out" after first CP.

We reached a "pondok" which is a intersection between AID/Ngor Hean/Balik Pulau. I manage to pedal non-stop to reach Ngor Hean Temple, the climb is not tough and the cement trail is well maintain as well. Balik Pulau town ship and the coast line view from this part of the world is just stunning. Again, better than Gertak Sanggul View.

It is time to go home, time is ~11:35am and weather is getting hot. I end up suffering going up Paya Terubong, this small hill seem never ending. Can't even talk to Ang/Mei Ling/Chng (they washing their bikes) for first few minute when reached Park Views.

Overall, today riding experience is one of the my best MTB memory to date, just short of my first day riding up Carpet. However, today memory is "sweet" one instead of "pain and suffering" first day experience in Carpet.

Ride On.....

No comments:

Post a Comment